Owl Happenings

Jackson Hole Classical Academy has proudly served Teton County area families for seven years. Our classical approach to teaching and learning resonates throughout the community and provides an additional education option in the valley.

However, the school’s current leased facility size prevents students from continuing their classical education through high school. Meanwhile the school’s enrollment, like other area schools, is rising. To address these challenges, leaders of Jackson Hole Classical Academy identified a potential new site and proposed a plan that will aid educational opportunities for future generations of Jackson area families while protecting open space and wildlife habitat.


Jackson Hole Classical Academy is in the early stages of a multi-month public planning process to secure a potential new school location that can meet growing enrollment needs. The proposed new school site is located near the location of Jackson Hole’s first-ever school, built in 1896. The property is located at 2500 South Park Loop Road and is currently owned by longtime valley ranchers who wish to see the site restored to its historic use.

The property on South Park Loop Road is a 40-acre parcel in an area which zoning allows for a school and located near existing development. It has access via a paved County road that includes a pathway, sewer and municipal water utilities. Currently, seven acres of the land are used commercially. Jackson Hole Classical Academy will change that use to institutional and use a fraction of the remaining parcel for onsite employee housing and a permanent home for an existing school. The total development area is limited to 10% of the project acreage, leaving the remaining 90% of the land conserved in perpetuity.
We’ll utilize Owl Happenings throughout this process to provide updates and information to our parent community as well as the general public.


Core to the school’s proposal includes the permanent protection of wildlife habitat and open spaces in our community. JH Classical Academy is working diligently to conserve noncontiguous and contiguous property in permanent conservation easements for the benefit of future generations. 

This is an appropriate site and a good plan for our community that provides wildlife protection, open spaces and educational opportunities for Jackson area families throughout the valley.


The Teton County process includes ample opportunity for public education, comment and input. The community is encouraged to attend a series of neighborhood meetings, open houses, public and planning commission meetings to learn more about Jackson Hole Classical Academy and the school’s future plans. Check back here for meeting announcements.


Throughout this process, this webpage will serve as a resource for students, parents and the general public. We will continually update this page with the latest information on the project as well as opportunities to get involved and have your voice heard. 

Owl Happenings, LLC is the applicant entity for the Jackson Hole Classical Academy’s new school site. Owl Happenings is led by Steve and Polly Friess, who are overseeing the entire design, application process, and communication outreach for this project.
You can contact us via email or phone with questions or to sign up to help:


Classical education is about preservation. We look to the past to find solutions for the future. Our community plans to diligently and thoroughly restore the roofless historic school building with professional reconditioning. 



At Jackson Hole Classical Academy, we provide an environment where all students discover a love for learning. We develop within our students the intellectual and moral foundations to build responsible, independent, and productive lives. To continue meeting our community's needs, Jackson Hole Classical Academy needs an adequate space at an appropriate site.



Jackson Hole Classical Academy is currently only able to educate students kindergarten through ninth grade. Our goal is to provide the opportunity of a classical education through high school graduation. With additional space, Jackson Hole Classical Academy will meet current and future enrollment needs while offering a complete classical education through high school.


Jackson Hole Classical Academy
P.O. Box 7466
Jackson, WY 83002
Enrollment Inquiries:
Polly Friess
(307) 690-8396
All Other Inquiries:
School Office
(307) 201-5040


Nondiscrimination Policy: Jackson Hole Classical Academy admits students of any gender, race, color, and national or ethnic origin to all the rights, privileges, programs and activities generally accorded or made available to students. Jackson Hole Classical Academy does not discriminate on the basis of gender, race, color, national or ethnic origin in the administration of its educational policies, admissions policies, tuition assistance, athletic, arts or other school administrated programs.